Tuesday 6 April 2010

Type Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I did several tests using the laser printer to makesure everything was legible but when it came to printing my final maps the strokes on some of the icons almost completely disappeared because they were too thin. I was really disappointed with this, and if I had actually done a test print downstairs earlier on in the process this problem may have been resolved, and the same can be said for the printed photographs.
The skills I have developed during this module probably fall into 2 different categories. The first being "technical" and the second "way of thinking".

Firstly, the technical skills I have developed are more of a practical nature. I have learnt typographic 'rules' which if they are paid attention to, help make a lot of decisions to do with design as well as increasing readability. I have also had the chance to learn Quark, which will hopefully make me more adaptable as a designer/more employable.
Secondly, the way I think has also been improved thanks to this module. Now when handling type I am more concious of how readable it is for audiences and also how something might be read (considering hierarchy). The type journal was useful for me personally to realise that it's ok to take influences from other designers and this is a good way to design successful work. Up until now I have been very resistant in using other designers ideas to influence my own design. I can now accept that it's ok to do this (without plagiarising).

The way we worked within sessions also forced us to work quickly, forcing decision making and then evaluating it's success afterwards. This felt very unnatural to me and was something I really struggled with. I am hoping that despite this it has had some effect on my ability to make decisions and stop being too precious about things.

What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

During the module we kept type journals. We were supposed to collect type that we liked and evaluate it within our type journals and use it as a tool. After spending the last two years avoiding working in sketch books and trying to get into the habit of blogging things of interest, to then start working within a journal was quite hard. Having the journal meant that I began collecting things more that interested me and I could analyse them in a tactile way.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

Strengths gained from this module lie more in the way I work rather than final outcomes. I will continue to consider which typefaces are appropriate depending on the desired message and continue to test and try readability.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I am still not as confident with layout, although I do think I have improved. It's really important for me to be collecting layouts that I find interesting or that might be useful so that I can use these to help me develop my own work.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Spend more time outside of sessions dedicated to type - I think I relied too much on the sessions to teach me how to use type rather than taking an independant approach, which would help me learn more
Read around the subject - again this would have probably inspired me more, and made me more enthusiastic about the module
Take a more personal approach to investigation - the approach I took to collecting was just collecting bits here and there when I should've been documenting things that really interested me personally.
Not stress out as much - worry less about the time constraint and actually enjoy doing it
Blog the work - this way I won't lose the work or forget what work I did.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas(5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor)Attendance: 5 Punctuality: 4, Motivation: 3, Commitment: 2, Quantity of work produced: 4 , Quality of work produced: 2, Contribution to the group: 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment